Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Deadliest Job

I have bad days at work, as most people do. Today I definitely had one of those days - being hung up on by a very rude assistant (and rude is being nice), getting assigned a task that I hate, and being completely overwhelmed by all that I have to do.

But then I come home and watch "Deadliest Catch" on the Discovery Channel and I realize that my job may have it's ups and downs, but at least I am not fishing on the Bering Sea, having to worry about an ice flow that is going to cover my crab pots, or working for 36 straight hours without food or sleep, counting countless crabs, and having to constantly be on guard for loose lines, flying 1000lb crab pots, or a rogue wave that will wash me overboard.

It really is incredible the conditions that those men work in. 30 foot seas. Colder than ice water. And they push their bodies to the absolute limits. There was a captain this season who had a blood clot pass through his heart!! How he survived that is beyond me - you can only say that it was a miracle.

So, when the day is going bad, I guess I just need to remember, I could be on a fishing boat in the Bering Sea, freezing my butt off with no food or sleep. Instead I am stuck inside in air conditioning, sitting at my desk for countless hours, doing tasks that I would rather not do (On a side note - I wish I knew why answering the telephone is like sticking pins underneath my fingernails and sticks in my eyes). So I am lucky after all.

No comments: