Monday, November 12, 2007

Wild Weekends, Sadness, and one of my Life Dreams

This weekend I had the pleasure of attending one of my best friend's bachelorette party/weekend. It was pretty wild in terms of games played and other things done, but as the saying is often amended..."What happens in VA Beach, stays in VA Beach". I do have to say that the highlight of the weekend had to have been at Dirty Dicks, in which the waitress, after being told there was a fly in one of our drinks, says, "Oh, what gets me is when there is a hair in the drink! There are usually flies at the bar anyway..."!!!!!! Not joking - she seriously said that!! I wish I had a camera to capture everyone's faces at the table - priceless.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I found out this past weekend that one of the people that I work closely with on the travel baseball league that I run finances for, suffered a brain aneurysm. When my boss called and told me about it, it was so strange. I felt so detached and immediately felt like I slipped into "Ok, what do we do" mode, instead of letting it sink in. I wonder if because I have gone through so many of these tragedies, I almost am numb to them now? Or the fact that a lot of my coworkers lately have been suffering personal tragedies (a father passed away a couple of weeks ago, then another's sister passed away from an aneurysm two weeks ago, and then another's aunt passed away from cancer last week) has made it seem almost routine - I usually am the one in the company that notifies everyone and then gets something together to send to the family. I just feel very strange and wish that I felt more and could cry about it, because she is someone that I am pretty close to. I wish there was a different word than just strange to describe what I am feeling, but that is what I feel.

On a completely different topic, I was going through my fabulous sister's pictures on Facebook (who currently is teaching English on a Caribbean island - does her life get any better?) and saw this photo and it instantly captured my heart. It is just a simple picture of the sun glistening off the water with a sailboat in middle. But ever since I have gone sailing (twice now), my heart has been captured by sailboats and the open sea. I would love to take sailing lessons someday. There is something about the huge openness and calmness on the ocean or in the water or on any kind of boat that just enamors and fascinates me. And this picture perfectly captured that feeling.

No comments: